Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Hopes for You

Dear Charlotte,

For 37.5 weeks now you've been cozy inside of me- growing stronger in anticipation of the world beyond those dark, comforting walls of mommy's belly. You move constantly (yes, constantly), as if to say "hello? I'm still here. Don't forget about me-" as if I could. You are coming into a world that is already filled with so much love for you which only grows with each kick and movement you make. It would be impossible to measure the depth of how much mommy and daddy have already fallen in love with you.

I wish I could say that I'll be a perfect mom to you- that all those 2 a.m. feedings and diaper changes looming in our future will be pure joy, filled with love and awe and not an ounce of frustration, but I can't say those things. My body will be tired. I will be sleep-deprived. I will lose my temper. And I will worry. TOO MUCH. About EVERYTHING. I will make mistakes. I will have doubts on how to raise you. But just as I hope you will learn one day, we all make mistakes. Big ones and little ones and some lessons are harder to swallow than others. But it's what we do with these mistakes that shape who we become. With that said, here are some of the life lessons I've learned that I am passing onto you.

  • When in doubt, bet on yourself.
  • Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is about.
  • If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
  • If he's stupid enough to walk away, be smart enough to let him go.
  • Over prepare and then go with the flow.
  • If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
  • Marry someone who can laugh at himself- like your dad.
  • Have faith in God even if you do not hear Him. He is always listening.
  • Love your family. They are the best reminders of where you've been and where you're going.
  • Have a good balance of confidence and humility.
  • Your life is made of two dates and a dash. Make the most of the dash.
  • Love to read. Books will take you places beyond your wildest dreams.
  • Respect your elders and learn from their experience.
  • Those who are hardest to love need it the most.
  • Don't hold grudges. It's like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.
  • Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
  • Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes.
  • And, remember that mommy and daddy are always in your corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment