Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How We Broke the News

Dear Charlotte,

I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I received that unforgettable call from my doctor's office that I was going to be a mom. I had just gone to the doctor earlier that day to see about a month-long cough that wasn't going away. I was given a cough prescription and went to Walmart to get it filled and to pick up ingredients for dinner. I was standing in line at the pharmacy when I received a call from my doctor's nurse. The conversation went something like this:

Nurse: "Have you filled your prescription yet?"
Me: "No, I'm still waiting in line at the pharmacy."
Nurse: "Ok, good. Don't fill it."
Me: "Huh?"
Nurse: "Are you sitting down?"
Me: "No, should I be?"
Nurse: "Well...I really think you should sit down for this news, but congratulations, you're pregnant!"
Me: "What?"
Nurse: "You're having a baby."
Me: "Really??!"
Nurse: "Yes, we got the results from your blood work and that's why your cough hasn't gone away. Your immune system had shut down to accept the growing fetus."
Me: "Okay..." (still trying to wrap my head around the news)

Needless to say I was smiling from ear to ear and never did remember what I needed to get for dinner that night.

How I Broke the News to Your Father


I wanted to call your dad and tell him right away, but I also wanted to tell him in person. Then I started thinking of how I should break the news to him in a memorable way. I decided to film his reaction when I gave him the news and the most original way I could think of was to incorporate our love for the NBA Houston Rockets by letting him know that we'll have a new little fan in the family. So I bought an infant sized Rockets jersey and wrapped it around a PS3 video game that I knew he had been eyeing.

Here is the video, sorry for the quality of the footage. I blame it on my camera phone and my shakiness from being too excited to tell him the news. Really, the Hello Kitty wrapping paper should have given it away...right? But he truly had no clue.



How We Broke the News to Your Grandmas


After I told your dad, I knew he wouldn't be able to keep quiet for too long so I had come up with a plan to tell your two grandmas on Mother's Day, but you know how plans go. We couldn't get the two moms on the same schedule to meet us for breakfast and we knew that we wanted to tell them together. We ended up breaking the news to them on the Sunday after Mother's Day which worked out well since it made that ordinary day that more special and meaningful to us than a day which everybody celebrated.

Here's the video of the reaction from your grandmothers:



So, my girl, I hope these videos show you how well loved you are and how happy everyone was to learn of your impending arrival. I am glad I was able to capture these moments for you on camera so that one day you can watch them and see for yourself how much a part of our lives you had already become.

No comments:

Post a Comment